Related Links

Appreciated Securities
(Details on transferring stock)

How to contribute gifts of securities

Making gifts of appreciated securities need not be complicated. When giving securities, be sure to consult with your financial advisors and/or attorney. Additional time should be allowed for completion of such gift transactions.

Securities held by your broker

Inform your broker in writing that you wish to give appreciated securities to the MU Foundation. Click here to download a sample letter for your use. Be sure to let the broker know when you’d like the transfer made. Your broker will need to call us at (304) 696-6214 to obtain pertinent account information.

Certificates you hold

If you hold the actual stock certificates, you will need to sign a stock power form for each certificate you contribute. You may obtain a stock power from any broker or financial institution. When you sign the power, be sure to sign your name precisely as it appears on the certificate. For example, if you are listed as John A. Johnson on the certificate, sign it John A. Johnson.

When mailing the certificates, use two envelopes. In the first envelope, place the unendorsed certificates. In the second envelope, place the completed stock power(s). Send them to us on the same day by certified mail. Our address is:

MU Foundation
The Marshall University Foundation Inc.
One John Marshall University
Huntington, WV 25755

Mutual funds

Mutual fund transfers usually take a longer time to transfer as each mutual fund company has its own requirements for making charitable contributions. Contact the customer service department at your company to secure the forms needed and then call us at (304) 696-6214 to discuss your intent. We may need to create an account with your mutual fund company before the transfer can occur, so allow at least one month for the transfer.

For more information

Email us, complete the personal illustration form, or call us at (304) 696-6214 so that we can assist you through every step of the process.